|Jacek Koziel, assoc. prof
Dept. of Agricultural & Biosystems Engineering; Dept. of Civil, Construction and Environmental Engineering; Food Sciences and Human Nutrition, Iowa State University
|1998-2000||Postdoctoral Fellowship in Analytical Chemistry||University of Waterloo – Canada|
|1998||Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Air Resources Program)||University of Texas – Austin|
|1993||M.S. in Environmental Quality Engineering||University of Alaska – Anchorage|
|1989||M.S. in Mechanical Engineering||Politechnika Warszawska – Poland|
ISU President Gregory Geoffroy analyzes an air sample at ISU’s Atmospheric Air Quality Laboratory.
Feature profile article in Nature (2008, 455, 726-728) – What is that smell?
Article on Lady Beetles in National Geographic (9/2007)
Interview in Scientific American (3/2009) on “Why study pig odor?”
Feature article in INNOVATE Online (2010) – Down from the Mountaintop
Recent journal publications:
- Li, H., H. Xin, R. T. Burns, L. D. Jacobson, S. Noll, S. J. Hoff, J. D. Harmon, J. A. Koziel, I. Hetchler. 2011. Air emissions from tom and hen turkey houses in the U.S. Midwest. Transactions of ASABE, in press.
- Kenessov, B., Y. Sailaukhanuly, J.A. Koziel, L. Carlsen, M. Nauryzbayev. 2011. GC-MS and GC-NPD determination of formaldehyde dimethylhydrazone in water using solid phase microextraction, Chromatographia, 73, 123-128.
- Akdeniz, N., J.A. Koziel, T.D. Glanville, H-K Ahn, B.P. Crawford. 2011. Air sampling methods for VOCs related to field-scale biosecure swine mortality composting. Bioresource Technology, 102, 3599-3602.
- Parker, D.B., Z. L. Perschbacher-Buser, N. A. Cole, M, J. A. Koziel. 2010. Recovery of agricultural odors and odorous compounds from polyvinyl fluoride film bags. Sensors, 10, 8536-8552.
- Akdeniz, N., J.A. Koziel, H-K Ahn, T.D. Glanville, B.P. Crawford. 2010. Field scale evaluation of volatile organic compound production inside biosecure swine mortality composts. Waste Management, 30, 1981-1988.
- Kenessov, B., J.A. Koziel, T. Grotenhuis, L. Carlsen. 2010. Screening of transformation products in soils contaminated with unsymmetrical dimethylhydrazine using headspace SPME and GC-MS. Analytica Chimica Acta, 674, 32-39.
- Zhang, S., L. Cai, J.A. Koziel, S. Hoff, D. Schmidt, C. Clanton, L. Jacobson, D. Parker, A. Heber. 2010. Field air sampling and simultaneous chemical and sensory analysis of livestock odorants with sorbent tube GC-MS/Olfactometry. Sensors and Actuators: B. Chemical, 146, 427-432.
- Li, L., M. Fan, R.C. Brown, J.A. Koziel, J(Hans) van Leeuwen. 2010. The kinetics of SO2 scrubbing with fly ash slurry with concomitant production of a useful wastewater coagulant. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 136, 308-315.
- Akdeniz, N., J.A. Koziel, H.K Ahn, T. Glanville, B. Crawford, R.D. Raman. 2010. Laboratory scale evaluation of volatile organic compound emissions as indication of swine carcass degradation inside biosecure composting units. Bioresource Technology, 101, 71-78.
- van Leeuwen, J.H., A. Sridhar, M. Esplugas, S. Onuki, L. Cai, and J.A. Koziel. 2009. Ozonation within an activated sludge system for azo dye removal by partial oxidation and biodegradation. Ozone-Science & Engineering, 31(4), 279-286.
- Akdeniz, N., J.A. Koziel, H.K Ahn, T. Glanville, B. Crawford, R.D. Raman. 2009. Air sampling and analysis method for VOCs in field-scale mortality composting operations. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 57, 5658-5664.
- Koziel, J.A., S.H. Haddadi, W. Koch, J. Pawliszyn. 2009. Sampling and analysis of nanoparticles with cold SPME fibre. Journal of Separation Science, 32, 1975-1980.
- Cai, L., J.A. Koziel, M. Dharmadhikari, J(Hans) van Leeuwen. 2009. Rapid determination of trans-resveratrol in red wine by solid-phase microextraction with on-fiber derivatization and multidimensional gas chromatography – mass spectrometry. Journal of Chromatography A, 1216, 281-287.
- van Leeuwen, J.H., A. Sridhar, A.K. Harrata, M. Esplugas, S. Onuki, L. Cai, and J.A. Koziel. 2009. Improving the biodegradation of organic pollutants with ozonation during biological wastewater treatment. Ozone-Science & Engineering, 31(2), 63-70.
- Li L, M. Fan, R.C. Brown., J.A. Koziel., J(Hans) van Leeuwen. 2009. Production of a new wastewater treatment coagulant from fly ash with concomitant flue gas scrubbing. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 162, 1430-1437.
- Chen, L., S. Hoff, L. Cai, J.A. Koziel, B. Zelle. 2009. Evaluation of wood chip-based biofilters to reduce odor, hydrogen sulfide, and ammonia from swine barn ventilation air. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 59, 520-530.
- Hoff, S.J., D.S. Bundy, M.A. Nelson, B.C. Zelle, L.D. Jacobson, A.J. Heber, J.Q. Ni, Y. Zhang, J.A. Koziel, D.B. Beasley. 2009. Real-time ventilation measurements from mechanically ventilated livestock buildings for emission rate estimations. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 59(6), 683-694.
- Chen, L., S.J. Hoff, J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, B. Zelle, G. Sun. 2008. Performance evaluation of a woodchip-based biofilter using solid-phase microextraction and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry-olfactometry. Bioresource Technology, 99, 7763-7780.
- Laor, Y., J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, U. Ravid. 2008. Enhanced characterization of dairy manure odor by time-increased headspace solid phase microextraction and multidimensional gas chromatography–mass spectrometry-olfactometry. Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 58, 1187-1197.
- Li L, M. Fan, R.C. Brown., J.A. Koziel., J(Hans) van Leeuwen. 2008. Reduction of SO2 in flue gas and applications of fly ash: a review. PowerPlant Chemistry, 10(5), 290-301.
- Jacobson, L.D., B.P. Hetchler, D.R. Schmidt, R.E. Nicolai, A.J. Heber, J. Ni, S.J., Hoff, J.A. Koziel, D.B. Parker, Y. Zhang, D.B. Beasley. 2008. Quality Assured Measurements of Animal Building Emissions: Part 3 -Odor Concentrations: Journal of the Air & Waste Management Association, 58, 806-811.
- Suna, H., S. Trabue, K. Scoggin, W. Jackson., Y. Pan, Y. Zhao, J.A. Koziel, and F. Mitloehner. 2008. Alcohol, volatile fatty acid, phenol, and methane emissions from dairy cows and fresh waste. Journal of Environmental Quality, 37(2), 615-622.
- Lo, Y.C., J.A. Koziel, L. Cai, S.J. Hoff, W.S. Jenks, H. Xin. 2008. Simultaneous chemical and sensory characterization of VOCs and semi-VOCs emitted from swine manure using SPME and multidimensional gas chromatography-mass spectrometry-olfactometry system. Journal of Environmental Quality, 37(2), 521-534.
- quantification of emissions of VOCs, odor, NH3, H2S, and PM from livestock operations
- chemical and sensory analysis of odors from confined animal feeding operations using solid phase microextraction – multidimensional gas chromatography – mass spectrometry – olfactometry (SPME-GC-MS-O)
- development and testing of odor control technologies
- environmental analysis, indoor air quality
- biotechnology, ethanol, aflatoxins, kairomones
- wine, coffee, flavor, aroma, neutraceuticals, trans-resveratrol
- novel chemical analyses of biofuels
- chemical ‘fingerprints’ of lions, tigers, and snow leopards
- advanced oxidation
- Lingshuang Cai (associate scientist), email@example.com
- Lam Nguyen, Simone Soso, Xiuyan Yang, Patrick Woolcock (Ph.D.)
- Somchai Rice, Wenda Zhu (M.S.)
- CE/AE/ES 524 Air Pollution (with Dr. van Leeuwen and Dr. Hallmark)
- TSM 327 Animal Production Systems
- ENGr 160 Engineering Problems and Computations Laboratory
- HON 290H Special Problems Honors
- TOX 501 Principles of Toxicology (with 11 other faculty)
- TOX 502 Toxicology Methods (with 11 other faculty)
2009 – Wolfgang Göpel Memorial Award, sponsored by the Göpel family and the Institute of Physical Chemistry (University of Tübingen, Germany) for the best presentation at the 2009 International Symposium on Olfaction and Electronic Nose, Brescia, Italy.
2008 – Wakonse Fellowship.
2007 – American Academy of Environmental Engineers. Grand Prize for University Research (with Dr. van Leeuwen, Dr. Cai and Mr. Onuki).
2006 – ASABE Honorable Mention Paper Award (D. Parker, M. Rhoades, G. Schuster, J. Koziel, Z. Perschbacher-Buser), Transactions of ASAE, 2005, 48:1527-1535.
2006 – Award for Excellence in Honors Mentoring and Advising, ISU.
2003 – Agricultural Engineer of the Year, Texas Section, American Society of Agric. Engineers