The mission of the Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department is to:
- Promote undergraduate student learning in agricultural and biological systems engineering and industrial and agricultural systems technology,
- Promote graduate student learning in agricultural and biosystems engineering and industrial and agricultural technology,
- Discover, adapt, advance, and manage new engineering, technology, and scientific ideas for all stakeholders,
- Provide engineering and technology expertise to the state, nation, and world,
- Engage, serve, and lead the agricultural and biosystems engineering and applied engineering and technology management professions globally.
The vision of ISU’s Department of Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering is to be the premier comprehensive Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering department in the world serving society through innovative engineering and technology to sustainably advance agriculture, industry, and living systems.
As the Agricultural and Biosystems Engineering Department works toward achieving our mission, all members of the department are expected to act in accordance with Iowa State University’s core values and the identified departmental values and guiding principles. The ABE departmental values and guiding principles are:
- Diversity and inclusion of students, staff, faculty, stakeholders, and viewpoints
- Meaningful and collaborative partnerships with domestic and global stakeholders
- Excellence in the scholarship of learning, discovery and outreach
- Systems approach that increases sustainability
- Culture of lifelong learning
- Aileen Keaton – equity advisor for CALS
- Carmen Gomes – equity advisor for CoE