Internship and co-op information
Each industrial technology (ITec) and agricultural systems technology (AST) student is required to complete an internship along with two corresponding courses, TSM 397 and TSM 399, in an area that complements their chosen option within their major.
This work experience (TSM 397) requires:
- at least 400 hours of employment (full time during the summer, fall, or spring semester)
- must be more than manual labor
- a one page profile of your work experience
- evaluations from both the supervisor and the student
You must be either:
- A junior (60 credits) or senior (90 credits) in good academic standing (not on academic probation)
- A sophomore with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5
Registering for an internship
Contact your academic adviser or Elaine Phompheng, the AST/ITec Technology Internship Coordinator, for approval of your particular internship experience, and complete the following paperwork:
Forms for AST and ITec students
- Technology Internship Application Form
- Complete Internship Information Sheet
- With the help of your supervisor, complete the Technology Internship Work Agreement Form
Please submit completed paperwork and a copy of your job duties no later than Monday of Dead Week the semester prior to your work experience.
Important deadlines for complete enrollment paperwork submission
Summer Internship – Due on or around Monday of Dead Week, Spring semester (For summer 2019, the deadline is April 22nd)
Fall Internship – Due on or around Monday of Dead Week, Spring semester*
Spring Internship – Due on or around Monday of Dead Week, Fall semester*
*See Student Services for exact due date.
Elaine Phompheng, Technology Internship Coordinator
ABE Student Services / 1320 Elings Hall
515.294.9449 / email@example.com
Academic internship credit
- Register for TSM 397 (R credit, no tuition) for the period of your internship. Complete the enrollment paperwork and submit it to the Technology Internship Coordinator to register for this course, as you cannot enroll via Access+. You must meet the internship eligibility standards listed above.
- In the semester immediately following your internship, you will take TSM 399 (2 credits). The Internship Coordinator will register you for this course upon successful completion of TSM 397.